Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oat-ey lemon bars

This is the first time I made lemon bars. And why did I think of it? Cos it had been so long I had baked, and I had some lemon at home. We get lemon cos Niket prefers lemon tea (I hate it). We got some Navadarshanam lemon-grass, and I found out that if I use lemon in lemon-grass tea, it becomes really tangy. What better use for the lemon than to make some lemon bars (I have to try tarts next)
This recipe is adapted from Joy of Baking

For the crust-
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup flour  (I used mix of oats, flax seed flour and whole wheat flour)
pinch of salt
Beat the butter and sugar, sift the flour and salt and add, beat together and combine to form dough. Press this onto the bottom of your greased baking dish and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes at 180 deg. Let cool. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.

Lemon Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (I used 3 lemons)

1 tbsp lemon zest (My lemons had dried up and I had some orange zest so I used that instead)
2 tablespoons flour (I used oats)
1/4 cup milk

For the Filling: Beat the sugar and eggs along with the zest. Add the lemon juice and combine. Fold in the flour. Pour the filling over the crust and bake for about 20 minutes at 180 deg. Remove from oven and cool.
 
Serving suggestion- dust with powdered sugar, cut into squares and serve.

This is going to Dr Sameena's event for Oats recipes. She has some very easy and tasty recipes. Check out her blog.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment