Saturday, March 12, 2011

My dish with Radish!

I am a regular follower of Events and roundups. It is always updated and has a list of all the events in the blogosphere. It has an event "A fruit/veggie a month" with Radish. I am breastfeeding my 6 mo baby and have been refraining from all such veggies (beans, cauliflower, cabbage, radish etc) This event series has originally been started by Priya, whom I am following now. Check the page here

We eat sattu (roasted gram flour- staple in UP and Bihar) a lot - for breakfast with curd and jaggery, for dinner as stuffed chapatis. The stuffing does not taste good if it does not have radish (the white one- daikon, is what is mostly available in Bangalore) Also the radish makes the stuffing a bit wetter, easier for stuffing.

I recently made sattu rotis/ makunis. My recipe is the same as this one here.
I just made a change of adding radish.

New recipe-
To make 10 rotis
2 cups sattu
1 grated onion
Juice of one large lemon
Achaar ka masala from any pickle
1 tbsp Chopped dhaniya (I used more of this)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp ajwain, mangrela (carom and nigella)
1 cup grated radish (I used 1/4 cup only, I didn't want Yashi to turn into a gas cylinder)
Salt to taste

Mix all these very well with hand. Check for salt and it should taste lemony. This is your filling.

2.5 cups aata

Make dough. Fill in, like you would stuff aloo. Roll out and cook as chapatis. It can also be greased with oil or ghee and made as parathas.


I made these into dry chapatis and served with ghee and ridge gourd veggie.

2 comments:

  1. That's very informative and the rotis sounds healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting dish. Thanks for sending it to the event :-)

    ReplyDelete