Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fulori

Learning-to-cook: Event: Dish Name Starts with F
Fulori is a deep fried snack served in Bihar and is the same thing as pakoda except is is made with veggies (and not plain besan or gram flour) I didn't deep fry but baked them in the oven. My recipe is here-

Chopped veggies (i used cauliflower florets and potatoes)

I boiled some water and put the veggies in it and let stand for 5 mins before straining and marinading.


Marinade-
1 cup besan
1/2 cup sour curd
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp ajwain/ carom (I used powdered cumin)
Salt to taste
1 tsp turmeric

Mix these together, it gives a paste like mixture.
Dip veggies in this paste and keep on a greased baking dish. Rub veggies with some oil. Bake in oven at 180 deg for 35 mins, turn in between for crispiness on all sides.

With this I am reminded of Darbhanga when I was there for my wedding. Only a couple of days were left for our wedding. I was in the city (our wedding was held in a small village, Rampura) for shopping and was talking to Niket. Nket was still in the US then. I crossed a rickshaw with a loudspeaker attached to it and playing the song, "fulori bina chatni kaise bani" and Niket was laughing aloud!

To serve, serve hot with ketchup / green chutney and can also be an accompaniment to rice and dal.

Sending this dish to dish name starts with F

Here's a pic of the deep fried Fuloris or Pakodas !
posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments:

  1. Nice Dish Richa, liked the fact that you baked them!!

    Ankita
    http://eat-hearty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting dish Richa! we have besan flour here so I can make this recipe but can you tell me what sour curd is? curd cheese or whey or something completely different?

    ReplyDelete