Sunday, March 13, 2011

For the love of potato!

My friend, Shu passed on this recipe to me. It is a Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe, check here. I am scared of anything deep-fried, I can't stand at the stove and do all that. But when I looked at the recipe it was much like bread rolls, except the change in stuffing and the dough. And I was thinking, potatoes will bake very well if rubbed with oil in the oven and they will turn as crisp as the deep fried rolls. They did not turn as crisp but they definitely tasted good :) I altered the stuffing quite a lot.

My recipe for potato rolls-
4 bread slices
3 medium sized potatoes
salt

Mix these and keep aside (it will form a dough, I mixed some water too)

Stuffing-
1 chopped onion
1 chopped tomato
1 shredded carrot
1/2 cup peas
1 chopped capsicum
1 tsp each of turmeric, coriander powder and all spice / garam masala
Oil to cook
Roasted peanuts

Heat oil in a wok, add onion. Fry till they turn pink. Add tomato and cook till done. Add rest of the veggies, salt and dry spices.Cook covered. Remove from heat after peas are cooked well. Mash a bit with the spatula. Let cool. Add roasted peanuts.

To stuff rolls-
Oil for rubbing on the rolls

Grease palms with some oil, take a portion of the dough (I made them into 10 portions) Roll the dough in your palm and make a hollow for the stuffing. Put in a spoonful of the filling, roll into an oblong shape. (I found this a bit more difficult than doing the bread roll)
Do this with all the dough. If some filling is left, use bread to make some bread rolls.

Arrange them on a greased baking dish. Rub some oil on top. Bake in the oven at 180 deg for 30 mins, turning in between. Serve hot with ketchup!

I am sending this recipe to Holi Aayi re, it looks like a perfect recipe for a festival!

3 comments:

  1. That is such a great way of creating a healthy delicious snack..must try :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks zelda! not always, my pics are so bad all the time

    ReplyDelete