Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Veggie/Fruit of the Month-Cucumber

Ambrosia is hosting Veggie/Fruit of the Month. This series has been started in 2010 by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes. Thanks Priya for this wonderful opportunity. Psst- the secret is this has come to me as a surprise, and a big one too! :-)

For Dec, the fruit is Cucumber. 

blog

Yes, Cucumber is a fruit!! Here are some facts about the fruit, source- Wiki-
  • Cucumbers originated in India !!
  • The cucumber (Cucumis sativus) is a widely cultivated plant in the gourd family Cucurbitaceae, which includes squash and melons. The plant is a creeping vine which bears cylindrical edible fruit when ripe. There are three main varieties of cucumber: "slicing", "pickling", and "burpless". 
  • Having an enclosed seed and developing from a flower, botanically speaking, cucumbers are classified as fruits. However, much like tomatoes and squash they are often perceived, prepared and eaten as vegetables
  • Cucumbers are usually more than 90% water.
Choosing cucumbers- Choose the cucumbers that are displayed in refrigerated cases, because they are sensitive to heat.

They should be firm to touch. Avoid cucumbers that are yellow, puffy and wrinkled at their tips.


Nutritional Profile- Cucumbers provide us with a variety of health-supportive phytonutrients like  flavonoids, lignans and triterpenes. Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin K, molybdenum, vitamin C, potassium,
magnesium, manganese, and vitamin B5. They also contain the important nail health-promoting mineral silica!


Cucumber for Beauty!!
Cucumber reduces dark circles and swelling around the eyes. After a long day's work, Cucumber eye pads
can be very very relaxing! Cucumber mixed with mint is a very good face pack.
Cucumber paste helps reduce blemishes too. Cucumber and the skin share the same level of hydrogen, it helps in relaxing the skin.

The regular intake of cucumber juice is very useful both internally and externally.

So cucumber that has so many benefits, should definitely feature in our kitchen! Let's go now to to the rules of the event-
  • The dish can be anything -muffins, rice dishes, fired, chutneys or juice but with cucumber as main ingredient.
  • The dish can be any course of the meal. (starters / main dish / beverage etc)
  • The recipe can be veg or non veg, eggs are allowed in baking.
  • The recipes have to be new and no archived entries are allowed!
  • Post the recipe in your blog from  14 Dec 2011 to 15 Jan 2012. Multiple entries are welcome!
  • Link the recipe post to this announcement page and Priya's announcement page .
  • Include the logo as it is manadatory and it helps spread the word.
Use the link tool below to link your recipe.
In case you are not able to link-
Please send in your entries to richapriyanka [at] gmail.com with "Veggie/Fruit of the Month - Cucumber" in the subject line with you rname, blog url and Recipe name and Url.
Non bloggers can send in your recipe details along with the picture to the above email and I will post your recipe in your blog.

Shall we get to cooking then? :-)

Wait!! You can win yourself a cookbook from Infibeam.com upto Rs 500! This is a sponsor-free giveaway, and my way of saying thankyou to all you lovely people participating in this event.

Giveaway guidelines-
  • Participate in the event as per the rules and leave me a comment on this post.
  • This is valid only for bloggers in India!
  • Follow me on Blogger and tweet about my giveaway!! append with #ambrotos 
I eagerly await your entries!! Begin linking now!!




31 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Richa for hosting this. Looking forward to tons of entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know about the event. Will try to participate.

    Vardhini
    Event: Sinful Delights
    Event: Stuffed Paratha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely choice...will definitely try to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, its a lovely event, have already sent you mine. Check it out.. :)

    http://karusdelicacies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice event. WIll surely try to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. of course I'll participate :) I've got 3 dishes in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've linked my entry for the contest on ur blog.
    u r in invited to participate in my blog's first ongoing event.do read the terms and participate for sure.
    http://dashamiscollection.blogspot.com/2011/12/announcing-1st-event-on-my-blog.html


    -Shwetha
    Dashami's Collection

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Event Richa,I'll link my entries soon.Happy hosting!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous event... will try sending my entries soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice event... will post my entry soon..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richa,I have linked 'Cucumber Yoghurt Shorba' for this Event.Merry Christmas To U and Ur Family Members Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gr8 event...will surely love to participate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I remember. I made something today. Will post and link tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi....I have added a Link for this event....Shrimp Cucumber Stir Fry !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, just linked my 1st post- http://myedibles.blogspot.com/2011/12/cucumber-bread-cups.html
    But I think it isn't linking

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just linked my recipe..happy hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi richa ,thanks for visit, sure i am in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must say very innovative & somewhat tricky recipes. Happy hosting & Thanks for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your invite, and it is perfect timing.. linked up Spicy Cucumber Chutney..

    Looking forward for more new recipes with Cucumber..

    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi richa....i added a link(thai cucumber salad).happy hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Richa, nice event! who does not love cucumber? I have linked my recipe..Thanks for participating in my event....keep sending mroe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely Theme!! I am glad to folow u :).I will send my entries soon.Come and participate my current events


    Ongoing Events:
    Foodies Nest
    Milk Shake~Event
    Fasting Day Menu #1

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just linked my salad Richa, happy hosting..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Richa,

    Linked my entry Cucumber Frost.Mistakenly, added a link with my name(Nisha)and did not find a way to delete that post. Please take a look.

    ReplyDelete