Monday, May 30, 2011

Eggless date cake with sour cream

I had always wanted to bake this ever since I read about it on Bong Mom's cookbook. Yesterday I got a chance to.. What better day than your parents 45th Anniversary to bake an eggless cake. Though they aren't here with us in Bangalore, we thought it was a good idea to celebrate the day.

I mostly followed the recipe here, except that I used sour cream instead of oil and reduced sugar to 1 tbsp and I felt I could reduce it ever further. I also used whole wheat flour instead of AP and even Yashi got to taste them!

Recipe-

Ingredients-
Dates seeds removed- 20
1 cup hot milk

Soak the dates in the milk for about 15-20 mins. 

In the blender, make a smooth mix with-
The dates soaked in milk
1 tbsp sugar (reduce sugar if you like your cakes less sweet)

My mix was a bit coarse, and I loved the taste of chewy dates in between my cake bites.

Sift together 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tsp baking soda.
To this add, the blended mix and 1/2 cup sour cream

Optional- add nuts (I skipped this)
Combine all ingredients together. 

Grease a baking dish, pour batter into it and bake at 180 deg for 25-30 mins. Serve as is, Bong Mom suggests serving with icecream. But we had this for breakfast and it tasted good with a cup of warm milk :)

Posting pic soon!

Edit- 30 May 2.54 pm
Pic- One of the many servings of this cake that we had-



No comments:

Post a Comment