Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nepalese Aloo achaar for Kancha :)

Whenever Rajani, Sunil and Niket would invite their Nepalese friends for dinner, Rajani and the girls would definitely make the Nepalese Aloo Achaar. It looked so easy to make and it tasted so good, it was over in no time!

Yes my husband is Nepalese. This was a question put to me even in my visa interview, and then the lady asked me, what is your jati (Hindi term meaning caste) I told her what it was and that Niket's also was the same.

So today's "Fascinating fact for the day" is Bh@#!%s are found in Nepal too!


Coming back to our pickle recipe, though I had always seen Rajani make it, I had never made it until 2 days back. I mentioned it to my MIL when she was here and she told me the exact recipe. I have thought of making it only after I saw the Pickle mela event.

One of the blogs I follow, Delhi Belle, has also posted a similar recipe. My MIL's version is slightly different. 




Our recipe for Nepalese Aloo Achaar

Ingredients-
1 large potato, boiled and cut into small cubes
1 tbsp sesame seeds (black sesame tastes better than white, I use a mix of both, white also can be used singly)
Turmeric ¼ tsp
1/2 a lemon
1/2 tbsp mustard oil
2 green chillies chopped finely
Salt to taste
1 tsp flax seed roasted (optional)
1 tsp fenugreek / methi seeds

Directions-
Soak the cubed potatoes in a bit of salted water to let the salt penetrate them.
Roast the flax seeds and the sesame together and grind them.  Drain the water from the potatoes, add the ground powder and mix.
 
Heat the mustard oil, add fenugreek seeds, green chillies and a pinch of heeng / asafoetida. Add the turmeric powder soon after turning the gas and pour over the potatoes mix. Cover and toss. (Rajani always said the flavors get mixed better if mixing with hand) Let stand for 10 mins, juice the lemon over it, mix well and serve.

Sending this to Pickle mela

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious a different achaar with potatoes..

    valar
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new dish to me! interesting how you used fenegreek black seeds and flaxseeds i will try this Richa!

    ReplyDelete