Friday, May 15, 2009

Rava-Ragi idli

I got some ragi flour this time with my grocery shopping. Ragi is quite healthful and I was wondering how I'll use it, since I don't know the various ways in which it is cooked in the South. I decided to add some to the rava idli batter I had made. It turned out good :) My tried and tested recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups idli rava
2-3 tbsp ragi
1 cup dahi
chopped coriander, green chilly, salt
1/3 tsp baking soda (soda-bi-carb)
1/4 tsp eno salt
Some colourful chopped veggies (carrot, french beans) and curry leaves (optional)

Mix all ingredients in the idli rava (if you are in the mood for it, you can roast the rava with mustard seeds in 1 tsp oil till it turns a darker color) Add water if needed and make a thick batter. Keep separate for atleast 10 minutes.
Use a microwave-safe idli stand. Add 1 cup boiled water to the pan, and smear the moulds with a little oil. Add baking soda and eno salt at the last stage and immediately drop spoonfuls of batter in the moulds. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Soft spongy healthy idli is ready. Serve with pudina chutney and podi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment